First time I’ve had DKA – Don’t want it again!

Well, first time for everything and all that. But DKA finally paid me a visit in all 34 years of dealing with this. And frankly still annoyed over it.

The day started pretty well. Early rise, all kitted up and prepped for the event today (62 mile cyclocross with 8824ft of climbs). Bloods were pretty perfect for it, 6.2 (111 in US money) had breakfast on a 60% bolus as usually and off rode to the start of the event. Was a little slow getting away so by about 8 miles into the event bloods where up to 16.2 (291) and I corrected partially and by the first food stop at 22 miles in bloods where down to 5.6 (101). For the remainder of the event everything was fine blood wise with little deviation (5.2-5.8 throughout) and completed it at 5.6. Was a hard slog, shaved a good chuck off my previous best time, met a load of folks who I got chatting to, and over all really had a good time.

Rode home, bloods where 5.2 (94), washed bike and back tyre went flat grr. I’ll sort that later so kind of ignored it and finished up cleaning and got myself cleaned up for the coating of mud I was covered in.

A few hours later checked for dinner and eep BG was up to 16.1 (290), corrected, had a little feed and waited and had a splitting head ache which was odd and BG was 20.4 (367). Massive correction and an couple hours later 17.1 (308). I started vomiting which was odd and couldn’t work out why. Didn’t seem to be dinner related but made me think anyhow but blamed being so high for it. Really fed up with it all now changed vile, infusion set and usual things and started again. Did a correction and waited an hour and now 17.8 (320). Utterly fed up even tried using pens, BG now 17.2 grr. Ok this has lasted long enough lets check for ketones..ACK 5.0. That’s it, something not working, I feel awful and I need help so got a lift to hospital.

By time I got to hospital BG was still 17.8 (320) but ketones where now up to 5.8. Blood pH had now dropped to 7.33. BG kept around 17 for the next 4 hours or so and ketones raised to 7.8 before everything started to come down. Took 23 attempts though to get cannula’s into me for insulin, food, and hydration mix (massively low potassium in blood it seemed, blamed on possibly lack of hydration in ride but thought I had drunk enough *shrug* with over a couple a bottles) due to veins collapsing though.

ECG and Xray wasn’t showing a possible cause and blood work up seemed to only indicate white blood cells high attacking something. So some dodgy infection caused it.

Anyhow, long story short. They fixed me up, got me switched back to my pump. And back home. Ketones have been fluctuating for today between 0.2 and 1.8 with the bloods being kept pretty steady in the 6’s. But eating little and often and drinking loads and should be flushed out of me by tomorrow or so’s the plan. Arms are a mess now due to the attempts to get stuff into me, and blood out of me.

Utterly annoyed though about needing help! Theory is currently the ride weakened me enough for the infection to cause some mayhem but not over sure which is a concern. Still haven’t had the usual recharge moment off the ride which is very odd also. But it’s another day being T1. Always finds something “fun” to throw at you and learn from 😛